DELIVERANCE FROM DEPRESSION
Deliverance from Depression: is it really a mental illness or is it a kind of evil spirit? The Christian is suppose to experience peace and joy, but the depressed person cannot. The depressed persons have problems believing that God loves them; they withdraw from community support and they are in a continued state of anxiety. They are completely overcome by evil. This is not of God’s will. One of the symptoms of depression is one’s experience that no one has been able to help; that even God does not care. Deliverance may be needed.
There are times that depression is a demon. And Saul’s servants said to him, “Behold now, an evil spirit from God is afflicting you.” 1Samuel 16:14-23
WHAT IS DELIVERANCE?
Deliverance is defined as “a rescue from bondage or danger.” Deliverance is often sought from evil spirits or the spirit of lust, jealousy, etc. We are told to “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith.” 1 Peter 5:8,9
All aspects of deliverance are available only through the person and work of Jesus Christ:” When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, ‘Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!’” Luke 10:17
DO YOU NEED DELIVERANCE?
To determine if you are in need of deliverance, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you continually argumentative or contrary–usually on the verge of anger?
- Are you violating, neglecting or causing pain in a relationship?
- Are you practicing sin and can’t seem to stop?
- Do you see a pattern of issues in your family, whether disease, poverty, anger, divorce, sexual perversion or other issues?
- You are sick all the time and the doctors find nothing wrong. You could be dealing with a spirit of infirmity?
- Are you having “spiritual” encounters, including recurring dreams/nightmares that you leave you fearful?
- Do you sometimes sense that the problem isn’t you, but rather something in you?
- Are you attracted to the occult. , e.g. Ouija Boards, Seance, Fortune Telling, Horoscopes, Hypnosis etc, or Witchcraft?
- Have you experienced traumatic events that have impacted your life negatively?
- Do you keep hitting the same wall?
The enemy’s number one area of attack is the mind. The demons will put negative or even perverse thoughts on your mind to make you believe that they are your thoughts. When people fall to complaining and fussing and feeling sorry for themselves, they lay themselves open to any danger of an invitation to evil spirits.
Fortunately, the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education thought so too. In 1994—at long last—its Special Requirements for Psychiatry Residency Training mandated that: (1) young psychiatrists receive religious instruction, and (2) a patient’s spiritual beliefs always be noted and taken seriously.
Likewise, for the first time ever, the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV)—psychiatry’s massive, professional bible—now includes a category that acknowledges the importance of religion in our lives. It is my hope that there be a new relationship encouraged between psychiatry and the fields of religion and spirituality.”
Most psychiatrists now believe that in severe depression, medication is needed to restore enough bodily and cognitive functioning for a sufferer to then attack the unhealthy thinking that has grown out of the illness. Most of the more than 20 types of psychotherapy show some success with depression, but those with the best track record are designed to be fairly short, lasting less than a year, and focus on correcting distorted thought patterns.” (from the article on depression: U.S. News) Many doctors treat their patients by natural methods, which leave the devils unperturbed.
When you are depressed, your access to God’s presence is blocked Psalm 100:1-5. It is a very destructive weapon of the enemy.
You need only concern yourself with getting your own house in order: “Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness – and all the rest of these things will be granted to you as well.” Matthew 6:33 ” I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
- Generational Curses can be delivered.