Vodou is primarily practiced in Haiti, New Orleans, and other locations within the Caribbean. There is great variation within Voodoo beliefs and practices. Many Vodou practitioners also consider themselves Catholics. Voodooism involves spiritual beings.
As well as being the priest or priestess, the houngan acts as confessor, confidential and financial advisor, prophet and healer for the people in the community. But the houngan is more a folk healer with a considerable knowledge of herbal remedies who treats minor illnesses. While selling love potions and protective charms, including small bags to be worn for protection or for good luck, may be a lucrative side business for a priest or priestess, the primary occupation is still as a spiritual leader of his community. Voodooists especially places value on the strength of community for support.
Loa or Spiritual Beings
The spirits of death, The Guédé are really an enormous group of the loa who are the spirits of formerly living people. He is the one who controls the passage between life and death. In ritual, he is often offered black goats or chickens. The most frequently performed ritual in Voodoo is one that invokes a particular loa (supernatural beings) to offer food to him and seek his presence on earth.
The most important components of a human body, however, are the two parts of the soul, the ti-bon-ange (‘little good angel’) and the gros-bon-ange (‘great good angel’). The gros-bon-age keeps the body alive, and after death, it returns to the reservoir of energy in the cosmos. Without the gros-bon-ange a person loses his/ her life-force. The ti-bon-ange makes up the half of a person’s soul and it is the source of a person’s personality. Furthermore, it is responsible for determining an individual’s characteristics, personality and will.
In Voodoo belief, death is not seen as the end of life, but as a change. The soul – the gros-bon-ange and the ti-bon-ange – endures after death in a different form. The gros-bon-ange returns to the high solar regions where it joins the other loa (supernatural being) and is itself transformed into a loa. Approximately a year after the death, the houngan (priest) performs a ritual, to ensure that the ti-bon-ange is put to rest. This ritual is very important because otherwise the ti-bon-ange may wonder the earth and bring illness and disaster on others.
A Distinctive Human Soul
A human person is a UNIQUE INDIVIDUAL BEING with a spiritual soul and a material body. Human beings alone are created in the image and likeness of God; and therefore, possess rational and spiritual souls: a human person is a body/soul composite.
Why is this Extremely Dangerous?
Voodoo believers must invoke spells to pacify angry spirits. The dark side of voodoo is used by participants to summon evil spirits and cast hexing spells upon adversaries. “Voodoo” has become part of modern folklore as something evil that can hurt us. There are terrifying stories about people who were affected by curses that had been placed upon them
In Voodooism, death is a transition to the invisible world, so our predecessors are still with us in spirit. They watch over and inspire us. Divinity is found in the act of ritual itself, in chanting and drumming and dancing to call the immortal spirits down from the cosmic plane where they live that infuses the practitioners with divine power.
Voodoo doesn’t pray to a Personal GOD. Why?
The “great good God,” although loving, is distant, and somewhat above individual human concerns.
The Mouse’s Search for the Cat
The unproved assumption of this very common mountain analogy is that the roads go up, not down; that man makes the roads, not God; that religion is man’s search for God, not God’s search for man. C. S. Lewis says this sounds like “the mouse’s search for the cat”.
Christianity is not a system of man’s search for God but a story of God’s search for man. True religion is not like a cloud of incense wafting up from special spirits into the nostrils of a waiting God, but like a Father’s hand thrust downward to rescue the fallen.
“In the beginning God made from nothing the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
“He made from one blood all nations who live on the earth. He set the times and places where they should live. They were to look for God. Then they might feel after Him and find Him because He is not far from each one of us. It is in Him that we live and move and keep on living.” Acts 17:26-28
“The heavens are telling of the greatness of God and the great open spaces above show the work of His hands.” Psalm 19:1
Are all religions are the same, deep down?
By Catholic standards, the religions of the world can be ranked by how much truth they teach.
- Catholicism is first, with Orthodoxy equal except for the one issue of papal authority.
- Then comes Protestantism and any “separated brethren” who keep the Christian essentials as found in sola scriptura (Latin: by Scripture alone) is a theological doctrine which holds that the Christian Scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith and practice.
- Third comes traditional Judaism, which worships the same God but not via Christ.
- Fourth is Islam: the greatest of the theistic heresies.
- Fifth, Hinduism: a mystical pantheism;
- Sixth, Buddhism: pantheism without a theos (God);
- Seventh, Christian Cults: Mormonism or Later Day Saints, Jehovah’s Witnesses; Voodooism
- Eighth, modern Judaism, Unitarianism, Unification Church, whose members are often called “Moonies”, Confucianism, Falun Gong, Taoism, New Age, Modernism, Christian Science, Scientology and secular humanism, none of which have either mysticism or supernatural religion but only ethics;
- Ninth, idolatry connotes the worship of something or someone other than God as if it were God.; and
- Tenth, Satanism and Wicca contacting and convening with Satan as a supernatural being or force worthy of connection. They claim there is power here but it comes from the wrong source: BE WARNED!
HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN?
- Christians don’t shout, “I am clean living!” They whisper “I was lost, but now I’m found and forgiven.”
- Christians don’t speak of this with pride. They confess that they stumble and need Christ to be their guide.
- Christians don’t say,” I’m strong.” They say they are trying to be strong because they are really weak and need strength.
- Christians don’t brag of success, but they admit that they are failing and they need God to clean up the mess.
- Christians don’t claim to be perfect. Their flaws are far too visible but God believes they are worth it.
- Christians still feel the sting of pain and they have their share of headaches but they call upon His Name.
- Christians are not holier than thou. They are also simple sinners who receive God’s unbelievable Grace.
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
God the Father will wipe every tear from our eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, crying out or pain. We will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is The Holy Spirit will have made all things new. Eternal joy will have begun. “For the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is His name.” Luke 1: 49
Are we not like Barabbas justly condemned for murder, but saved by the innocent Jesus on the cross? Are we not like the adulterous woman, deserving of death by stoning, to whom Jesus says, “I do not condemn you”? And Jesus saved them both. In fact, Jesus came to earth specifically to look for and save those who were lost.
“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD.
“Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool Isaiah 1:18
You may need some counseling with a pastor, priest or competent Christian worker, who will introduce you to this Short Course on Who is Jesus? Start by reading the Gospel according to Luke and then John: It is all about love and you will love it. Read several verses before going to bed and read the same verse upon arising. Soaking yourself in the love of God defends you from attacks of the enemy.
Healing and Deliverance (Ctrl Click to follow Link)
- Abuse and Trauma
- A Vision of Hell
- Breaking Free of Controlling Spirits
- Can a Smart Person believe in God
- Cigarette and Drug Bust
- Deliverance from Depression
- Deliverance from Drugs and Addiction
- Deliverance from Prison
- Deliverance PowerPoint
- Divine Healing
- Do you Know an Alcoholic?
- Don’t be Afraid of Fear
- Gluttony is Not Merely Overeating
- God’s Protection and Blessing
- Healing and Deliverance General Information
- Healing and Deliverance Instructions
- Healing Hands: Father Melvin Doucette
- Healing of Relationships
- How to Keep Your Healing Once you have Received it
- Insomnia and Deliverance
- Jesus Cures a Blind Man at Bethsaida
- Joy and Sorrow
- Let’s Start
- Lust and its Brother Pornography
- Physical Healing
- Power of Healing
- Prisoner of Unforgiveness
- The Healing Power of Jesus
- The High Stakes of Gambling Addiction
- Three Ways of Self-Deliverance
- Ungodly Soul Ties
- Ungodly Superstitious Beliefs
- Your Part
Where do we go from here?
- 12 Functions of the Holy Spirit
- At the Name of Jesus every Knee should Bow
- Baptized in the Spirit: Being Born Again
- Born Again for Dummies
- Does God have a Special Place in His Heart for Canada?
- Embracing the Call
- From Sea to Sea: Nations keeping God’s Law
- God Wants You!
- God’s Will for YOU
- I Can’t Find God: an Anguish Cry!
- I Have a Right to my own Opinion
- Is there Life after Death?
- JESUS IS MY LORD
- Jesus Says to Come to Me – I Will Make You Happy.
- Joy and Sorrow
- Knowing God
- Life After Near-Death Experiences
- Life can be wonderful but brief
- Living in Glory
- Meditation and Contemplation
- Pathway to Holiness
- Release in the Spirit
- Something Wonderful is about to Happen!
- Spirituality for Dummies
- Suffering does not Rob you of Joy
- The Blood of Jesus Christ
- The Difference between Christianity
- The Faith Factor: We Cannot Please God without Faith:.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT: the Principal Agent of Mission
- The Life and Person of the Holy Spirit
- The Name of Jesus
- The Million Dollar Question
- The Person and Work of The Holy Spirit
- THE PROPHETIC FULFILLMENT
- The Seven Words of Jesus on the Cross
- The Word of God
- Trauma and Abuse
- We Reap what We Sow
- Welcome to God
- What Does God Really Want?
- What does it mean to be HOLY?
- What Is the Difference Between Spirit and Soul?
- What’s Your SQ?
- Who Am I In Christ?
- Who do they say that I am?
- Why Pray?
- World Missions
- Would you like to be Baptized in the Holy Spirit?